The Right Adoption Attorney Can Help
If you're looking to adopt or place your child for adoption, you need an attorney who will ensure that your interests are protected. Today, adoptions can occur locally, regionally, nationally or internationally. Dealings across state lines or international borders are common. You need someone who can look out for you and make sure that often complicated adoption laws and regulations are followed.
John Greene, of Cohen & Greene, P.A. is an expert in adoption. An attorney for more than 31 years, he has focused his law practice on adoption for the past 15 years. No matter whether you're a Maryland resident seeking to adopt locally, or a resident of another state dealing with a birth mother who lives in Maryland, you need an attorney knowledgeable about the state's adoption laws.
John Greene has a long track record of working with other adoption attorneys throughout the nation to ensure that adoptions proceed smoothly. He is one of an elite group of attorneys who are recognized nationally for their knowledge, experience, ethics and devotion to adoption.
- John Greene is a member of the Board of Trustees of the American Academy of Adoption Attorneys (AAAA), a highly selective national organization of 330 leading adoption attorneys throughout the United States who have met stringent experience and ethical requirements in the field of adoption.
- In 2006, Mr. Greene received AAAA's President's Award for his service to the academy and to the furtherance of adoption.
- From 2001 to 2005, Mr. Greene worked with a small team of adoption attorneys to completely rewrite Maryland's adoption laws the first major revision of the state's adoption statutes in 50 years. The revised adoption law was passed by the General Assembly, signed by the governor and went into effect January 1, 2006. He then worked with other attorneys and the Rules Committee of the Maryland Court of Appeals to revise the complex Maryland Rules of Procedure on adoption to reflect the new law. The revised Rules of Procedure went into effect in 2007.
- Until September 2009, John Greene was a member of the Advisory Committee to the Congressional Coalition on Adoption Institute (CCAI), which advised the U.S. Congress on adoption issues and raised awareness of the need for adoption.
- Mr. Greene frequently speaks on adoption issues before lawyers, law clerks, prospective adoptive parents and other adoption-related groups. From 1982 to 2003, he lectured regularly on child welfare issues at the University of Maryland School of Social Work and, more recently, to Maryland's Court Appointed Special Advocates (CASA).
- John Greene is a member of the Maryland Bar Foundation, an honorary legal society limited to only two percent of all practicing attorneys in the state. He is a past president and member of the Board of Directors of the Anne Arundel Bar Association.